How to Remember Your Dreams
It is best to try this when you are not under stress, and when you are able to sleep in. Like on a weekend or when you are on vacation. If you are worried about work or school or have a lot of other stuff on your mind it will hinder your ability to remember your dreams.
1. Before you go to bed at night when you are laying down. Tell yourself that when you wake up you want to fully recall all of the dreams you have that night.
2. When you wake up in the morning take a few moments when you are still laying down in bed and try to think back and remember any dreams you had. Chances are you won't remember a complete dream at first, but only bits and pieces of one.
3. Write everything you can remember about the dream. During the day think back to the parts of the dream to see if you can remember any more details about it. After doing this for a week or two you should start to remember more and more parts to the dream until you finally remember a complete dream.
4. Keep a small notepad by your bed. If you wake up in the middle of the night and don't feel like writing down the whole dream, then just write down a few key words from the dream to trigger your memory of it when you wake up and have the time to write the whole dream down.
5. If you try this and are still unable to remember any dreams, then you may
want to try setting your alarm clock to go off at different times in the middle
of the night. If you are woken up in the middle of a dream you have a better
chance of remembering it.
Once you start remembering dreams continue these steps and write down all your dreams. Think about them when you get up in the morning so you will continue to get better at it. Eventually you will reach the point where you may start to remember as many as three of four dreams from a single night.
I find that I go through different phases. Sometimes I will remember a lot of dreams, and sometimes I will go several weeks without remembering any. I find I don't remember then as often if I don't take the time to think if I had any dreams or not when I wake up. So when I am busy at work, or was working on projects at school I did not take the time to remember.
When I wanted to remember dreams again, I just used the above steps suggesting that I remember them when I wake up. Then when I got up I would try to remember them. Normally within a week or so I would start to remember my dreams again on a fairly regular basis.